Common Mushroom Varieties
• White button - can be eaten raw or cooked, and are great for salads, soups and pizzas.
• Shiitake – fresh shiitake mushrooms have a lighter taste, while dried shiitake mushrooms have an intense flavour and aroma. They are often used in Asian dishes such as soups and broths, sautéed and steamed, but also used in risottos and other dishes.
• Portobello - great meat substitutes, they go well in sauces, pasta and are great baked, grilled or stuffed.
• Porcini - reddish brown with a mild, aromatic flavour. They are widely used in Italian cuisine, notably in soups and risottos.
• Oyster - fan-shaped, this type of mushroom has a delicate aroma and taste. It is often used in Asian dishes, in soups and sautés.
• Enoki - tall, thin and small, they have a crunchy texture and can be eaten in soups, noodles and salads.